Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday, July 9, 2011 - too much stuff


In the film "Home for the Holidays," the Holly Hunter character is sitting at the Thanksgiving dinner table where her dysfunctional family is engaged in a financial discussion. Within the inevitable argument, she interjects that what's wrong with the world is that there's "too much stuff." After years of buying this, saving that and collecting the other, I have come to the point where my life is filled with "too much stuff.

I have recently started selling off many of my books, DVD's and CD's. It's not that I've lost interest; I've just realized that the world is making it so much easier to live with less. I can download books to my e-reader. I can watch almost any movie I want through Netflix, On Demand, or the innumerable movie channels I subscribe to each moth. And for music, an affordable yearly membership gives me just about any artist or album on Rhapsody.

Oh, wait a minute. I'm not living with less. I just don't have to find the room to store it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home